I'd like to somehow separate on the Jenkins page the difference between
jobs which failed due to a build/script error versus jobs which had failing
tests.

I use the PowerShell plugin and can set the overall pass/fail based on that
- sure. But then I lose visibility on the front page that a job had failing
tests within it.

Does anyone have a workaround?

I saw a plugin a while ago that could add Pass/Fail counts (but not
indicators) to the front view. But I don't remember the plugin name and it
didn't function with Folders (and it was a view, so, it was nigh impossible
to replace the All view, as you know how difficult it can be for folders).

Thanks.