(replies inline)

On Sat, 01 Apr 2017, R. Tyler Croy wrote:

> (replies inline)
>
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, R. Tyler Croy wrote:
>

> > As promised/threatened a while ago, I am planning to ugprade Confluence on
> > April 1st (no joke!). In the process of upgrading Confluence, we will also
> > be
> > re-sizing the VM it currently lives on for better performance. As such,
> > please
> > do not expect wiki.jenkins-ci.org to be servicing requests from 16:00 -
> > 18:00
> > UTC.
> >

> > The JIRA tracking this work is:
> >     https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/INFRA-325
>

> The maintenance window is taking a bit longer, lots of shuffling bits around
> on
> disk and database migrations are slowing us down.
>
> We're upgraded to Confluence 5.0.3, and will continue the migration to 6.1.0
> once the re-sizing of the VM completes by the OSUOSL.

Things took a *lot* longer than I had hoped during the "embiggen the VM" phase
as the legacy VM required a little bit more work to upgrade in the OSUOSL
Ganeti cluster.

Additionally the backend MySQL DB servers (operated by OSUOSL) are 5.5 and 5.6,
the latter which would support Confluence 6.1.0 doesn't have the appropriate
innodb settings to support our upgrade right now. While attempting to get us to
at least 5.10.8, I discovered that there are additional MySQL library changes
which we need to incorporate into our image to make everything happy.

What made this whole endeavour complicated was needing to actually perform
*three* upgrades rather than one, going from 3.4.7 => 3.5.17, then 3.5.17 =>
5.0.3, and finally attempted  5.0.3 => 6.1.0^W5.10.8. The first two required
significant data migrations, upgrading from some old tables from MyISAM to
InnoDB, and then Confluence's own migrations on top of that. Suffice it to say,
*tons* of disk I/O. We saturated disk I/O on the MySQL cluster more than once
during this process.

As it stands right now, 5.0.3 is up and running, and things appear sane. I'll
keep an eye on things and re-evaluate the upgrade path to 6.1.0 once I can
discuss with olblak our options a bit more.

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

     Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
  Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
     xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

  % gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F