I think I've understood the steps you're using.  I suspect you pulled the
official image from Docker as:

docker pull jenkins
docker run --rm -i --publish 8080:8080 jenkins:latest

That seems perfectly reasonable to me, and I confirmed that (as you said)
it is running Jenkins 2.32.3.

I believe Carlos Sanchez (and others) control the publishing of official
images to that location, but I'm not 100% sure of that.  The 2.32.3 image
was pushed to that location only 3 days ago, so I'm not sure of the general
plan for delivering new LTS releases to the official Docker image.

Mark Waite