Thank you very much for all the help and pointers (yes some slave issues
did surface needing latest Java quickly resolved the issues.)
Here is the report of my upgrade:
1: it was seamless no issues faced.
2: Upgraded all the plugins.
3: Minor issues faced related to Jococo plugin and some lost credentials
which had to be reselected from drop down for Jenkins build success or
failure notification to Stash\ Bitbucket
4: some slack api access keys configuration were lost.
5: had to change this for  /etc/sysconfig/jenkins
help from :
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38157686/migrating-to-jenkins-2-1-ajp-support-is-removed-in-winstone-3-0-due-to-jetty-9
JENKINS_AJP_PORT="-1"

But over all nothing that could be called a show stopper.

I am \ will be for ever indebted to authors \ maintainers \ supporters of
this software. Without you guys i am not sure where we would have been.

regards,
Raj