As far as I read from Oracle JDK 8 and JRE 8 Certified System
ConfigurationsContents
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/certconfig-2095354.html>,
RHEL 5.5 and later are supported by Oracle JDK 1.8.0, though there is no
JavaFX support on that platform.  Since Oracle is also a Linux vendor, it
is in their best interest to support Oracle JDK 1.8.0 on the Linux
operating systems which they support (including Oracle Linux 5, a
derivative of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5).

The Oracle JDK installation instructions
<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/install/linux_jdk.html#A1098871>
make no particular exceptions for RHEL 5 (or for Oracle Linux 5).  It
should "just work".

Oracle offers "extended support" for Oracle Linux 5 until 26 Jun 2020.
They either have ended regular support for Oracle Linux 5 or will do so
very soon.

I suspect the same is true of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  The Red Hat Linux
wikipedia article
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#RHEL_5> shows that
RHEL 5 is in extended support as of June 2017.

What was it that made you think that "a secure Java 8 JRE is unavailable on
CentOS 5"?

Mark Waite