On Mon 10 Jul 2017 at 03:44, Douglas Manley <doug.man...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Update: I believe that I have fixed the problem within the
> "amazon-ecs-plugin".  The short story is that it's possible to tell Jenkins
> that the automatically-created nodes, once they start a job, will never run
> another job again, causing Jenkins to spin up more nodes to handle the
> remaining items in the queue.  The responsiveness is reasonably good, and
> it totally meets my needs at work.
>
> The pull request is here; it has not been merged in yet (as of
> 2017-07-09): https://github.com/jenkinsci/amazon-ecs-plugin/pull/48

Oh so close.... sadly looks like the cigar is missing.

Durable tasks are not going to work as they cannot be accepted so when they
requeue they will run on a different agent, and think the shell step died.

If it were not for the fun of durable tasks you'd be totally on the money
here.

There is a retention strategy that does what you want in durable tasks
plugin. Try reworking the PR to use that.

Excellent work in perhaps the trickiest API of Jenkins to work with.

> On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 2:57:20 PM UTC-4, Douglas Manley wrote:
>>
>> As far as I can tell, it's not actually the plugin that's the problem.
>> Rather, Jenkins only asks the "cloud" provider (in this case, ECS) to
>> create a new node when there are zero nodes available.  Thus, as long as
>> there is one job running, Jenkins sees it as a valid node and will politely
>> wait until it finishes to run the next job.  Instead, the node kills itself
>> and only then does Jenkins ask the cloud provider to create another node.
>>
>> It seems like there just needs to be some kind of plugin that can read
>> the *queue *and talk to the cloud providers based on the number of tasks
>> outstanding.
>>
>> On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 4:52:02 PM UTC-4, Joshua Noble wrote:
>>>
>>> This plugin has an unfortunate known flaw - it will only spin up one
>>> executor/node per label. If you have two jobs waiting to build with the
>>> same label, it will build the first one, then kill after it's done, and
>>> then start the next one. (Instead of creating two containers/tasks in
>>> parallel) I've tried all the hacks (single build slave plugin, etc) and
>>> they no longer work.
>>>
>>> For this reason I've decided not to use it. You're much better off using
>>> the EC2 plugin (which is very well supported), registering those nodes as
>>> build agents, and then using Jenkins' native Docker workflow with
>>> pipelines. (In essence, this means Jenkins will run docker containers on
>>> the EC2 machine)

>>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/1292e400-6e91-4550-b080-b1311d1cab9d%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/1292e400-6e91-4550-b080-b1311d1cab9d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>