On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:54 AM John Mellor <john.mel...@esentire.com>
wrote:

> There are competing update philosophies to consider:
> Ubuntu ships the latest (unstable) release of Jenkins all the time, while
> RedHat/CentOS/etc ships the stable version. I host on a Ubuntu VM, but
> definitely wish it was better tested. If stability is key, then Ubuntu may
> not be your best choice.
>
> Personally, I would choose the Jenkins provided operating system specific
installer (deb for Ubuntu, deb for Debian, rpm for CentOS, rpm for Red Hat,
rpm for OpenSUSE) rather than the operating system vendor's bundled Jenkins
(if they choose to bundle it).  The operating system version is either too
outdated (as was the case in Debian some years ago), or is based on weekly,
when I want the long term support release.

The advice from jieryn (use the Jenkins repository flavor) works for
Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, CentOS, OpenSUSE, and likely FreeBSD.  The OpenBSD
specific package seems quite far out of date, so there you'd need the war
file rather than using the operating system specific installer.

Mark Waite