Username / password is supported only with http/https protocol.  If you're
using ssh protocol, you'll need to use a private key.

Private key is supported only with ssh protocol.  If you're using http or
https protocol, you'll need to use username / password.

The message "too many authentication failures" may hint that the target
system has "locked you out".

Mark Waite