Jenkins checkout the Jenkinsfile first and then the scm inside the jenkins
checkout. If you can, try to enable the Lightweight checkout on the
jenkinsfile checkout.

Side note, I for one make a repos for the jenkins file that is not the same
as the code repos, so my server and build setup evolve at different pace as
the code and I can build old version into a recent configuration (jenkins
updated and jenkinsfile needed to be modified for a while). I did more
enjoy doing it this way then having my Jenkins file static into a revision
of the source repos. I can also try different Jenkinsfile with the same
source code Jenkinsfile checkout use build parameter.
Side note #2: I also use mercurial with sub repos, so my jenkinsfile pull
subrepos for the shared scripts/lib/exe that I use during the build
process, this work like a charm.