Here is a list of the options I know, but one important aspect to this is if you use pipeline or not in your builds as that affects your choices:

Docker Custom Build Environment Plugin. This will use an existing executor to launch a container with the build. The images used need not be aware of Jenkins or dependencies. When I looked at it, it seemed abandoned, but it looks like someone is trying to pick it up again. It will probably take some time before it is up to date with new docker and Jenkins features. E.g. last I checked, pipeline was not supported. Also, it only works from physical Jenkins nodes.

Docker Slaves Plugin. This will provision slave containers on the fly from a single Docker host. Images need not be aware of Jenkins or dependencies. Limit on containers launched did not work for pipeline jobs last I checked. Also, this only works on a single Docker host.

Docker Pipeline Plugin https://plugins.jenkins.io/docker-workflow. I just learned about this one from the previous message, but looking at the adoption rate, this must be the mainstream option. Odds are this would be your best bet to start, provided you are using pipeline.

Using a build wrapper like SCUBA: https://github.com/JonathonReinhart/scuba in a shell step. This has the benefit of enabling manual/development builds to use the same steps as the automated Jenkins builds. For that particular wrapper, it does not support running from inside a container and creating sibling containers. I am considering a PR for that, but I think there are other wrappers that might support something like this.

There are plugins that dynamically provision slaves from images and run builds on those. The common drawback for these would be that the images themselves must support running a jenkins Slave, e.g. have a Java runtime of a certain version installed.

/Jacob

On 2017-12-04 17:37, Jeeva Chelladhurai wrote:
I would like to run my builds inside docker, so that I can manage different run times like node, python, go thru docker images.

- Jeeva

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM, nicolas de loof <nicolas.del...@gmail.com <mailto:nicolas.del...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    (another) plugin of mines.
    Same design as docker-pipeline's "docker.inside"

    Can you please describe your use-case so we give better advise ?

    if you just want to "build Docker images" as your initial message
    told, then just run "docker build" within your job, what else ?