For this purpose I am using FileSystem SCM plugin to retrieve scripts
without committing + local Docker snapshot of the production instance. You
can find some info about my approach in these slides
<https://speakerdeck.com/onenashev/jenkins-world-2017-developing-pipeline-libraries-locally>.

Slides are a bit outdated, but the demo is more or less up to date:
https://github.com/oleg-nenashev/demo-jenkins-config-as-code

Hopefully it helps,
Oleg