No, it can't be turned off.

If your repositories are large or bandwidth to the git server is low, you
might consider the hints from "Git in the Large
<https://www.slideshare.net/markewaite/git-inthelarge>".  Those are the
slides I presented at the Jenkins World 2017 community booth.  A Jenkins
Online Meetup is available if you prefer to hear me talking through the
slides.

Mark Waite