I think I have a request for something that is not possible, but I thought
I'd ask anyhow.

Here's the current scenario:

We're using Github multibranch/organization so that every branch in every
repo that has a Jenkinsfile gets built with CI. When the build completes,
Jenkins reports the status back to Github (and for Pull Requests, we can
block the merge back into master if the build fails).

What we want to achieve:

After Jenkins successfully builds a branch/repo (meaning after all the
current steps are complete), we want to provide an option for the user to
select to deploy and then continue the execution of the Jenkinsfile. But
Github is left in a state of "Some checks haven’t completed yet". But the
use-case we want is to instead consider the job done in Github, and not
block the merge into master. For example, if the deployment is not a
desired next step.

We considered an alternative of having a non-blocking job that runs after
the build is complete (to manage the deployment), but this removes the
ability to have the deployment steps specific for the branch/repo. In other
words, the branch/repo should be responsible for defining how it gets
deployed (what pre/post install steps it needs), not a generic job for
every branch/repo (that has to have a groovy/declarative process that is
capable of all possible pre/post steps).

So... is there anyway to send the status back to Github during Jenkinsfile
execution?