07/17/19 – wrote this…

We are currently using Windows \ Jenkins 2.107.1 (no pipeline), and I am
researching going to pipeline. We have a nightly build job, that fetches
from repositories, and submits and waits on other jobs. I see 9 jobs
running on the same Master node (we only have a master), at the same time.
I am not clear on if we should have one Jenkinsfile or multiple
Jenkinsfiles. It will not be a multibranch pipeline, as we do not create
test branches and then merge back to a master. In the repository we have
product1.0 branch, product2.0 branch etc., and build only one branch (the
latest one). While I do like the Blue Ocean editor, it is only for
MultiBranch pipelines.

Looking for directions and\or examples on how to convert existing Jenkins
non-pipeline systems, to pipeline.  I did find this…
https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Convert+To+Pipeline+Plugin. It does
help a little in that it gives you some converted steps, but cannot convert
all the steps, and will give comments in the pipeline script "//Unable to
convert a build step referring to...please verify and convert manually if
required." There is an option "Recursively convert downstream jobs if any"
and if you select that, it appears to add all the downstream jobs to the
same pipeline script, and really confuses the job parameters. There is also
an option to "Commit JenkinsFile" (if doing declarative). I will play with
this some more, but it is not the be all and end all of converting to
pipeline, and I still am not sure of whether I should be have one or more
scripts.

Added 07/26/19 - Let’s see if I have my research to date correct…

A Declarative pipeline (Pipeline Script from SCM), is stored in a
Jenkinsfile in the repository. Every time that this Jenkins job is
executed, a fetch from the repository is done (to get the latest version of
the Jenkinsfile).

A Pipeline script is stored as part of the config.xml file in the
Jenkins\Jobs folder (it is not stored in the repository, or in a separate
Jenkinsfile in the jobs folder). There is a fetch from the repository only
if you put it in (you do not need to do a repository fetch to get the
Pipeline script).

Besides our nightly product build, we also have other jobs. I could create
a separate Declarative Jenkinsfile for each of them (JenkinsfileA,
JenkinsfileB, etc.) for each of the other jobs and store then in the
repository also (in the same branch as the main Jenkinsfile), but that
would mean that every one of those additional jobs, to get the particular
Jenkinsfile for that job, would also need to do a repository fetch
(basically fetching\cloning the repository branch for each job, and have
multiple versions of the repository branch unnecessarily downloaded to the
workspace of each job).

That does not make sense to me (unless my understanding of things to date
is incorrect). Because the main product build does require a fetch every
time it is run (to get any possible developer check-ins), I do not see a
problem doing Declarative Jenkinsfile for that job. For the other jobs (if
we do not leave then for the time being in the classic (non-pipeline)
format)), they will be Pipeline scripts.

Is there any way of (or plans for), being able to do Declarative pipeline
without having to store in the repository and doing a fetch every time
(lessening the need to become a Groovy developer)? The Blue Ocean script
editor appears to be an easier tool to use to create pipeline scripts, but
it is only for MultiBranch pipelines (which we don’t do).

Serialization (restarting a job), is that only for when a node goes down,
or can you restart a pipeline job (Declarative or Scripted), from any point
if it fails?

I see that there are places to look to see what Jenkins plugin’s have been
ported to pipeline, but is there anything that can be run to look at the
classic jobs that you have, to determine up front which jobs are going to
have problems being converted to pipeline (non supported plugins)?