We have figured out that this is due to Jenkins 2.139 updated libpam4j from
1.8 to 1.11, looks like 1.11 requires root to get authentication. If we
start Jenkins using root everything as far as logging in works, it breaks
all kinds of other things so we would rather not do this. Starting Jenkins
using the jenkins user as we have done for years breaks all logins that
come from Active Directory. Has anyone else encountered this and what did
you do to get around it?