>From a Application Admin and working with App services standpoint, we
control the version of Jenkins we use especially because of the plugins
that come with it.

Plugin compatibility needs to be assessed before we can update. We have
seen an issue more than once when a plugin doesn't work well with a newer
version of Jenkins or support of a plugin we use heavily is deprecated and
so on and so forth.

Also the WAR is very useful if you want to wrap the Jenkins instance around
an App server like Tomcat or WebLogic or WebSphere. This helps by providing
the features of a full fledged app server to a webapp like Jenkins.