Perhaps a simpler/more-succinct scenario may explain the problem I am having
better.

1) I defined a defclass:
(defclass event com.phs3.data.ojb.EventImpl )

2) it has a slot

conditionCodeId

3) I defined a defrule LHS

(defrule report-subject-and-event-status

?e <- (event (eventId ?eId) (conditionCodeId ?ccId))

=>

4) I want to change the value of the conditionCodeID in the RHS of the
report-subject-and-event-status defrule

How do I do that  - how do I get the shadow fact data to change (so that
Java code that is executing this Jess code knows about it).