Actually adding an overloaded updateObject method that took in a property name and updated one property would work perfectly if that is possible. Performing a single query instead of updating all the properties (which could be sometimes 20 or more) for each each object is definetly much better.

The reason we need to do this is because of incomplete or sometimes inconsistent information in the PropertyChangeEvent itself. We interface with different systems and have no control on the information contained in the event. In the case of arrays, these events tend to contain partial information such as added value or removed value rather than the whole array for performance reasons.

Thanks,
Lakshmi

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I think Lakshmi Vempati wrote:
Is there a possiblity that in future it would be possible to update the fact alone passing in the new value without using modify?

I can see adding an overloaded updateObject() method that took a
property name and just updated one property -- but that would still
want to query the object for the property. I dislike the option of
having a way to deliberately put the shadow fact out-of-sync with the
object, especially as there's no guarantee that in some
not-too-far-off version of Jess, the shadow fact will become "virtual"
-- it won't really exist.

Since you want to manage updates at a fine-grained level, you might
consider not using definstances at all, and simply creating plain old
facts with their slots populated by information extracted from the
CORBA objects.