Hmmmm.... With today's 64-bit environments, you can do several Terabytes in memory; if you have the memory and the architecture. We did some studies on that back in 2002 and found that 4GB was terribly limiting to a "really complex" rulebase. 100 tables with 1,000,000 entries ends up being 100,000,000 entries which would take, on the average of 2,000 bytes per object, 200,000,000,000 bytes of memory. And that's BEFORE you add the complexity of the rule matching. That's quite a bit and smacks of poor architecture. It's the old principle of "Just throw everything into a big bucket, stir it around, and see what rises to the top." No thought. No planning. Just hoping.

Now, to the time problem; I think Dr. Friedman-Hill has covered this many times and it's covered quite well in his book, "Jess in Action" - available from Amazon. And, no, I'm not pimping for the book. Just pointing it out.

Performance tests are available at http://www.kbsc.com/ benchmarks2000-2005.xls (available sometime tonight or tomorrow) and (soon - maybe a couple of months) http://www.kbsc.com/ benchmarks2006-2010.xls. Enjoy...

SDG
jco

James C. Owen
Senior Consultant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.kbsc.com
"Never give up.  Never give up.  Never, never, never give up."
From a speech by former Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, during the most trying times of the British Empire; a great leader too soon forgotten by his country after keeping it from being swallowed up by the Nazi Empire during the second world war.