All:

I always seem to be coming in late to any discussion here on the Jess Users Group -
mostly because I'm working out of town a lot and don't get a chance to read and think
about what's going on with the rest of the world.  Blah-bablah-bablah-blah-blah...  :-)

Anyway, regarding XML and rules:  Both JRules and Advisor state that they have an XML
Rule Repository.  Well, actually, they have a "repository" of rules in XML, but I
wouldn't exactly call it a true Rule Repository - not in the sense that Rick at
EZ-Xpert sets up and defines a Rule Repository.  (See http://www.ez-xpert.com for some
white papers on the subject.)  This is NOT and testimony nor an advertisement for EZ
Xpert - just a comment that there are those who have done their homework.  Rick has
commented in the past that he would do an interface for Jess if someone wanted to pay
him the time and expenses to do it; like a two-week job, at most.

Again, I digress:  So, back to the XML subject at hand.  XML lends itself more to a
messaging component than to a Rules Repository unless, of course, you're going to make
a general purpose repository, such as EZ Xpert.  Chordiant has taken that approach and
they interface JRules to XML to the IBM MQ messaging back to the mainframe.  Kind of a
Rube Goldberg approach, but it seems to work.  Kinda, sorta, anyway.

I've never been a big fan of XML when you're running on the same platform and in the
same environment.  However, it does add extensibility to the project if that's what you
absolutely need.  But, then, I've never been a big fan of J2EE and any rulebase system
simply because any J2EE server wants to take over my environment and severely restrict
what can and cannot be done with the full power of Java, such as threads, etc.

OK, back in the sack for Old Jim - I'll probably wake up next Spring and see what's
going on with the rest of the world.  :-)

SDG
jco

Bonnet Emmanuel wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] a icrit :
>
> > > But using XML would help me to have :
> > > . a XML black box with predefined entries
> >
> > Not sure what this one means.
>
> I meant the rule engine would be seen from the outside system as a
> black-box
> exchanging data  using XML-format.
>
> > > . as XML standards (RuleML) are emerging for Rule writing , I could use them
> >
> > Note that storing data as XML, and storing rules as XML, are two
> > different things; the first is easy, the second is hard. Up till now
> > you've only been talking about XML data.
>
> You're right, RuleML initiative is doing that second job.
> In fact, it is possible to use RuleML to write rules AND create facts
> too.
> So it is possible to use RuleML for data management too.
>
> > > . no additional Java code to write that would interfere with the original model
> > > (fireProperty stuff)
> >
> > You only need to use property change listeners in your Java objects if
> > their member data will change from outside of the direct control of

> > static definstances without changing the code.
>
> You are right. That is definitly an issue.
>
> > > . a neat design reusable in other context/projects (everybody
> > > interfaces with XML now !)
> >
> > Indeed. Everybody seems to be getting their tongue pierced, as well,
> > but I personally won't be doing so.
>
> Me neither for the tongue-piercing,
> but I'm sure Jess will have XML-enabled features or interfaces in the
> future :-)
> In addition, the possibility to design a reusable component seems for me
> to be an interesting asset enough.
>
> Regards,
> Emmanuel

> in the BODY of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED], NOT to the list
> (use your own address!) List problems? Notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SDG
jco

James C. Owen
Senior KE