On 15 March 2011 02:17, Socrates Frangis <soc.fran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The CEP functionality used by other Expert Systems is just managing
> the time slice and managing that information distro to Rete.
> Unfortunately some other expert systems that advertise CEP tend to
> bundle the feature list with the expert system itself (much like
> spreadsheet based rules & 'decision tables') and make it seem like

These functions may be done using plain old text processing. But you
don't do well in adding CEP by pushing code on top of an unmodified Engine
like Jess because Rete's natural "eagerness" to evaluate conditions and
patterns
must be reined in as soon as the "future" or anything depending on "now"
must be considered. This doesn't mean that you can't solve CEP tasks
with an engine like Jess as is, but it's rather inconvenient.

their algorithm is more capable, when in fact its just open source
> libraries and middle-ware wrapped around a Rete. This is turn makes
> other expert systems seem less capable because they dont bundle in
> extra libraries.
>
> Not to let this go off on a tangent, i think its been well addressed
> at this point that Rete isn't limited. It is true that Jess doesn't
> automatically include a library with the functions related to CEP that
> you desire, but an expert system shell shouldn't automatically contain

this any more than it should contain a Sudoku solver or Miss Manners

Comparing a set of generic functions with specifc applications doesn't sound
right. You would *build *a Sudoku Solver *using* an expert system shell.

> ;P You just have to customize and create the functions you need.
>
> Going back to your original question, what is the problem you are
> trying to attempt to correct or solve with CEP and JESS? Perhaps with
> more detail we can guide you on how to do this with Jess.
>
> Yep, that would be interesting.
 -W