At 08:32 AM 8/6/2003 -0700, you wrote:
Hi Raphael,

--- "Luta, Raphael  (VUN)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If I understand correctly your request in regards to the
> JSR 168, you would like to be able to develop a client based portal
> that leverages the portlet components developped against the JSR168
> API. Is that correct ?
>
> I think that what you can do in this case is implementing
> a portal "server" on the client, with client side technologies that
> interact with a remote portlet container over the network, for
> example
> through WSRP. In such a setup, your client can control exactly the
> aggregation behavior and still leverage any JSR 168 portlets through
> WSRP.
>
> Since JSR 168 assumes a server-based aggregation process, it can not
> answer alone your requirement but OTOH I don't think it's a
> showstopper
> since WSRP will perfectly handle this requirement.
>
> Am I missing something here ?

  Are you suggesting that in order to accomodate client-side
technologies that a browser plugin 'portal server' would be necessary?
Users would reject this outright.  I really don't see how this would
solve the problem.  It is the whole interaction model that is the
problem, not where the 'portal server' lives.

Actually I think Raphael has an interesting idea. Let's suppose you're using Mozilla as a client technology. You could design a XUL client that would use LiveConnect to do WSRP requests to a WSRP compliant server (Jetspeed 2?). Within this server the interface of JSR-168 could be used to communicate with the portlets.

But I also have some ideas for improvements for JSR-168, but I believe it can come later. The politics behind this JSR have slowed it down to a crawl, and I think it's is best for version 1.0 to get out the door as soon as possible, so that work may start on the foundation that's been laid out.

Regards,
  Serge Huber.

- -- --- -----=[ shuber2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
www.jahia.org : A collaborative source CMS and Portal Server