Maybe it is not the good place to speak on Open Office here, you can send me more info directly to my email adress.

Our documents are not complex. What are calling complex documents ?
I know someone who is not able to open a word 97 document in Office 2003 and can open it in Open Office.

Regards, Christophe

Leszek Szlachetka wrote:

Hi Christophe,

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear that your are working on it. I just wonder if using Open Office is a good solution. I know that Open Office is not able to convert more complex MS Office documents. Recently, I just read that even Star Office can't handle complex documents. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Leszek

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christophe Lombart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Jetspeed Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 4:30 PM Subject: Re: DMS

This is exactly what I'm doing for one for my customer.

The end-users have a secure access to a documents hierarchy (folders)
via a portlet. A word document can be edited and save back to the server
after some validation.  Documents are stored into a repository (Slide)
which can be used for CMS or DMS solution.

In order to validate word documents, we are using open office which is
running in server mode. Open office is  nice  because it support the XML
file format and can convert one document in many content type (RTF, PDF,
HTML, Word, Excel, ....).  Convertions via open office are more simple
than using a series of XSL templates. It is just one method to call.

At the end, there is an official publication wich group together all
documents edited by the 400 users. This is the most complex part.
We are not using webdav because some users can edit their documents with
word 97 :-) . So we are developing a word macro which can send a  http
put method to the server.

We are still under test. It is not a simple solution (jetspeed + slide +
open office + EJB). So it takes time and I have not all my time to
donate the CMS repository layer. After some common work with David, I'm
trying to do it with some enhancement in the code.

If you want to help at least for the repository, you are welcome :-)
Christophe

Leszek Szlachetka wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking to build a document management system (DMS) using Jetspeed.

But I wonder if there are already any prebuild portlets that manage
documents.

In that regard is there any tool that would display files directly from

the harddrive. Also, is it possible to launch MS Word/Excel documents from
Jetspeed (clicking on the link ) and then edit them and save them back
directly to Jetspeed?

Any help, links are greatly appreciated,
Leszek