At 06:33 23.06.2004, you wrote:

On Jun 22, 2004, at 8:15 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

We would like to create a new portlet mode to display a help page on a
per-portlet basis (similar to other modes, like info, configure, etc.)  Is
there an easy way to do this with Jetspeed 1.5?

- Create a new permission for your new custom mode
- I think you will need to extend the VelocityPortletControl to handle your custom mode, see the buildActionList method
- Then see jetspeed.vm, as you will need to have a new image for your new action name
- create a new action class for the new mode, see o.a.j.modules.controls for examples

Also, will there be
direct support for this sort of thing in Jetspeed 2?
Yes, its in the portlet spec, but not required that the portal support extended modes
Jetspeed-2 currently has no support for extended modes although if you are interested in implemented it I'd be glad to help

I've actually been looking at the custom portlet modes for J2, and I was trying to figure out a way to make a "generic" extension mechanism.

Basically what we have for custom portlet modes is :

- has to be supported by the portlet before being displayed to the user
- server may need code specific to this mode, that might influence navigation, rendering (for example a "clipboard" mode or a "print" portlet mode). So we would need to have a way to specify a way to "plugin" the extra functionality.

For custom window states :

- has to be supported by the portlet before being display to the user
- server definitely needs to know how to handle the custom window states, as it will influence layout, so again ideally we need a way to "plugin" the extra functionality.

It's not very clear to me how to provide the "plugin" functionality must be implemented as it may concern multiple parts of J2. It will mostly influence layout but it might also have to toy with navigational state or other sub-systems.

I unfortunately am not familiar with J1's custom mode's system and we might be able to reuse some of that design.

Regards,
  Serge Huber.

- -- --- -----=[ shuber2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
www.jahia.org : A collaborative source CMS and Portal Server