Thank you for the prompt reply. I'm running J1.5 by the way. I just tried
your suggestion and the problem persists in the exact same way (same
messages).

Looking at the classpath available to the JRun JVM, I see that there are two
versions of log4j *in addition* to the one in Jetspeed itself. They both
come built-in JRun. One is in:

%JRUN_HOME%\servers\cfusion\cfusion-ear\cfusion-war\WEB-INF\cfusion\lib\log4
j.jar

The other in:

%JRUN_HOME%\lib\oem-xdoclet.jar

which contains open source libraries, one of which is log4j. Both
directories above are in the JVM classpath. For a test, I put back the log4j
jar in jetspeed/WEB-INF/lib and *removed* the two directories above from the
class path. Same error.

Then, I removed the log4j jar from jetspeed/WEB-INF/lib again, and also left
out the two directories above from the classpath. Different error:

(!) NOTICE: Turbine: init() failed: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/log4j/LogManager

Ahaa! "NoClassDefFoundError" Now I know that log4j is completely out of the
classpath.

I re-tested now by putting back into the classpath each jar one by one.
Results:

The
%JRUN_HOME%\servers\cfusion\cfusion-ear\cfusion-war\WEB-INF\cfusion\lib\log4
j.jar is not being picked up. If it's the only one in the classpath, I still
get a "NoClassDefFoundError" error. But both the
%JRUN_HOME%\lib\oem-xdoclet.jar and the Jetspeed log4j.jar cause the exact
same error:

(!) NOTICE: Turbine: init() failed: java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
org/apache/log4j/LogManager, method: <clinit> signature: ()V) Incompatible
argument to function

Either there is yet another log4j jar somewhere (not likely since I get a
"NoClassDefFoundError" already), or the problem is somewhere else.

I will keep experimenting. If there are any other ideas or I'm missing
something, please, someone let me know.