On Dec 29, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Marina wrote:

Randy, thanks a lot for your answer!

Do you know if there are plans to implement role-based
(and group-based) profiling in the future J2 releases?
I would think that role-based profiling is very
critical for real applications.

You can setup the default rule to use a role-based algorithm, or you can assigned users to use a specific role algorithm
So its not like there isn't role-based profiling in the system -- its pretty well supported, but not in the manner you are suggesting.

With the default global profiling, does it mean that
the profiling rule assigned to '*' users is used
UNLESS a different rule is assigned to specific users?

yes
take a look at the admin profiling portlet, and the user admin portlet
you can configure all profiling (no need to edit the tables) via the admin portlets although I admit its a bit difficult without any documentation

Or does  it apply to all users regardless of other
assignments?

Thanks,
Marina

--- Randy Watler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Marina,

David is the Profiler Master, so he is much more
qualified to explain its
configuration and inner workings. The source is in
components/profiler.

See comments below...

 It seems that profiling rules are assigned to the
users based on the user names.

Yes.

At least this is what I
see in the PRINCIPAL_RULE_ASSOC table - I created a
new user, 'dce_admin', and assigned a 'security'
profiling rule to it, and the ("dce_admin", "page",
"security") values got inserted into the
PRINCIPAL_RULE_ASSOC table.

Just FYI, the locator/rule name "security" has special meaning in J2... you might want to pick another name for your custom rule to avoid confusion. The "security" locator/rule is used when a user has an expired password and must select a new one. See details in the archives of the dev list.

Now my question: how could I assign a profiling
rule
to a rolename, not a username?
For example, I might want all users with the
'dce_admin_role'  role to use the 'security' rule.

We have discussed this, but it is not been implemented yet. There is a global default mechanism in place: if you specify a PRINCIPAL_RULE_ASSOC entry with a username of '*", it will be used for all users. This feature may not be implemented in this way in the future, but there certainly will be some other way to do the same thing.

Randy

-- David Sean Taylor Bluesunrise Software [EMAIL PROTECTED] [office] +01 707 773-4646 [mobile] +01 707 529 9194