We are targetting JetSpeed 2.0 for a prototype; I've been
frustrated as I have not found much "How To" documentation
to date.  I've seen the design docs in the source dist and
the comments in the code, which are good, but not the quickest
way of learning this beast.  Is there any "How To" type doc other
than the incomplete sections on the JetSpeed 2.0 home page?

I need to address questions like this:

1.  If I wanted my portlets to be transparent to the client,
e.g. no frames, no edit, help, minimize and maximize buttons,
how would I do that? Does PSML (or maybe the lack of it)
provide that functionality?

if you want same for all your portlets on that page you can put it in default decorator
as clear

example:
 <defaults
    skin="orange"
    layout-decorator="tigris"
    portlet-decorator="clear"
 />

if you want one speficic portlet on page to have no decorator add additional
attribute decorator into fragment definition

example:
<fragment id="dp-12" type="portlet" name="security::LoginPortlet" decorator="clear">
<property layout="TwoColumns" name="row" value="0" />
<property layout="TwoColumns" name="column" value="1" />
</fragment>

Yes this is not in documentation and it should be. I had to figure it out myself. I am also
not absolutely positive that this is going to be final implementation but it works with
version from HEAD

--
Jouni Rajala