carlos beltran wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to create a portlet that doesn't use the cache. I have read
> that this can be done by creating a portlet with the isCacheable()
> method returning false. I have done so extending the newRSSPorlet and
> creating a new portlet called NoCacheRSSPortlet. After, I declared it in
> the portlet registry ( jetspeed.conf) and I created I new instance that
> is downloading a jsp page, this way:
>
> <portlet-entry type="ref" parent="NoCacheRSS" name="NoCacheNews">
>
> <url>http://giliberto.quepasa.it:18080/news/news/rssNews.jsp</url>
>                 <title>No Cache News</title>
>  </portlet-entry>
>
> The JSP page is generating a page in RSS format.
>
> But it is not working!! Jetspeed is caching the jsp page and sending
> cache hits with this page. So the portlet is still using the cache and
> the channel is not renewed ! :(.
> Why is this happening? Has jetspeed a diferent behavior with JSP pages?
> Why is the portlet still using the cache??

There are two caches here:

- portletcache takes care of caching the portlet object in memory.
- diskcache takes care of caching the URL to avoid thrashing other servers.

You have removed memory cache for this portlet, but not disk cache.

So your url will be updated once an hour when DiskCacheDaemon runs. The only URLs that
the current
DiskCache does not cache are "localhost", "yourhostname" and "file:/" urls.

I have a prototype of the new cache, but I'm flooded with other work, and it is not
even functional now.

Once think we will have there is being able to specify regular-expression cacheability
of URLs.

I'll think of a quick workaroud for specifying non cacheable URLs with
the current codebase.