On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 12:22, blair wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       I have JFS setup on a rather large raid array.  I keep the log file on
> a different filesystem for performance reasons.  What happens if the
> log file gets corrupted or deleted.  IE I lose the disk that the log
> file is on.

If you are able to unmount the file system cleanly, you won't lose
anything.  You can reformat the journal with mkfs.jfs -J journal_dev
/dev/xxx.  Then you will need to run jfs_tune -J device=/dev/xxx
/dev/fsdev to associate the journal with the file system.

If the journal is lost after a system crash or power failure before fsck
was able to replay the journal, you may lose some data.  fsck will fail
to replay the journal, and will attempt to repair anything it finds to
be inconsistent.  fsck should attempt to reformat the journal if it can
still open the journal device.

>   Also what happens when the logfile hits max size?

The journal is logically circular and should never run out of space.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center