I've just had a lock up on linux-2.6.0-test11 (with prempt, but it
appears to work on this setup). The end result was that my main data
partition on a 40G drive with JFS file system appears to be irreversably
corrupted to the point where jfs_fsck version 1.1.3 spent over 24 hours
doing its little ".....|.." status display thing after begining pahse 1.

When run with the verbose flag, it completes replaying the journal,
begins phase 1, prints some messages:
**Phase 1 - Check Blocks, Files/Directories, and  Directory Entries
Duplicate reference to 1 block(s) beginning at offset 4849664 found in
file system object IA16.
Inode A16 has references to cross linked blocks.
Duplicate reference to 1 block(s) beginning at offset 3801088 found in
file system object IA16.
Duplicate reference to 1 block(s) beginning at offset 3932162 found in
file system object IA16.
Duplicate reference to 1 block(s) beginning at offset 4063232 found in
file system object IA16.
Duplicate reference to 1 block(s) beginning at offset 4194304 found in
file system object IA16.
Duplicate reference to 1 block(s) beginning at offset 4325376 found in
file system object IA16.
Duplicate reference to 1 block(s) beginning at offset 4456449 found in
file system object IA16.
Duplicate reference to 1 block(s) beginning at offset 4587520 found in
file system object IA16.
Duplicate reference to 1 block(s) beginning at offset 4718592 found in
file system object IA16.

then procedes to do the little "........|" status display thing.

What is the longest I should expect a jfs_fsck to run for on a 9215285 *
4k block JFS file system, before conclding that it is completely corrupted?
Are there any sort of forensic tools available that will allow me to
recover my data (other than using jfs_debug manually)?
How dangerous is using jfs_debug to manually set the state to clean and
mounting the file system ro to copy the contents?

Until this incident I have had no [huge] problems at all with JFS and
would hate to have to switch to XFS :-)

Thanks in advance,
Thomas Sutton