On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 08:16, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> At one point or another, X/DRI caused my computer to crash and I was able
> to do Alt+SysRq+s to sync the disks before I had to do a hard reset.
>
> However on bootup I noticed that /home/sunny was missing (but all the
> other user dirs where there ... weird)
>
> I automatically unmounted /home and did a binary dump of it (dd
> if=/dev/hda1 of=home.img).  I then ran fsck.jfs /dev/hda1, and this is
> where I'm having serious problems.
>
> First, fsck.jfs /dev/hda1 (with or without -p option) says there is no error.

The -p option is equivalent to the -a option, and is the default.
Either with or without it, fsck will only look for errors if the
superblock is marked dirty, or if it fails replaying the journal.  To
force fsck to fix errors, use the -f flag.

> HOWEVER ...
>
> fsck.jfs -n /dev/hda1 says there are errors ...
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] mnt]# fsck.jfs -n /dev/hda1
> Block size in bytes:  4096
> File system size in blocks:  1791712
> Phase 1 - Check Blocks, Files/Directories, and Directory Entries.
> <snip snip snip in output>
> Phase 8 - Verify Disk Allocation Maps.
> Incorrect data detected in disk allocation structures.
> Incorrect data detected in disk allocation control structures.
> File system checked READ ONLY.
> File system is dirty.
> File system is dirty but is marked clean.  In its present state, the
> results of accessing /dev/hda1 (except by this utility) are undefined
>
> Can someone help me with what this means ?

Something is inconsistent in the block map.  Running fsck.jfs with the
-f flag should fix it.

> I was reading the man page, and I noticed that -o would not replay
> whatever the transaction log was, and so I tried it, and it went through
> it fine.  But it didn't help me get back /home/sunny.
>
> I also have a large number of files in lost+found.

I'm afraid /home/sunny is gone.  lost+found contains the contents of the
directory, but no longer has the file names.  The subdirectories under
lost+found should be intact.

> Thanks for any help
>
> Sunny Dubey
>
> PS:  why cannot I run fsck.jfs on a regular file ?  I was wanting to run
> it on my binary dumps of my /home partition, but it wouldn't let me.

It should work.  How does it fail, and what version of fsck are you
running (fsck.jfs -V)?
--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center