I'm throwing in my two cents worth on this one because I just wrestled with it on 6
new computers just this week.  The problem was DEFINATELY the video drivers
that were loaded for the ATI Rage Pro LT video cards in the computers.  This was on
both the notebooks and the desktops.  The solution was downloading the
older versions of the drivers and installing them instead.  The computers are all
working now.  Yeah!  With 256 colors and 800 by 600 resolution everything seems
fine.  If you press the details button in that error dialog box, if you are getting
the same one that I've gotten, the fault clearly lies in the osm16.dll files which
indicates a
video conflict with JFW.  That is in the best technical terms I know.  Everyone else
out there can correct me and explain better if they like.  Anyway, it was ATI's web
site where I got the drivers.  I also discovered that the older drivers on a cd that I
had from earlier computers purchased with ATI cards had the necessary drivers.  If
you are dealing with a new PC you might be able to get the drivers from the company
that sold you the computer.  They weren't on the newest ATI CD that came
with these computers.  Would it be possible to post such things as downloadable from
the JFW List Serve or HJ web sites?  Just a thought.  I don't know what
copyright stuff would be involved in doing that.

Sue B.