I appreciate the article in bringing upfront the kind of malice and corruption
that's going on in the academics. For instance I have numerous instances to
quote that who he/she had passed the CSIR / UGC JRF examination (an eligibility
criteria set by UGC latter relaxed) never got into academics. Reason being that
he/she doesn't holds a PhD degree and someone who didn't qualified these exams
but had PhD got the offer. A third rate student having a PhD is considered
superior to the candidate who not only studied well and passed the national
eligibility criteria set by UGC.

One of the recent committee made a recommendation (I don't remember the year)
that CSIR/JRF is not required for those who hold a PhD degree, the harm that
the committee did by recommending is that those deserving candidates who are
meritorious and brilliant were left behind to those who some how managed PhD
from any institution of repute or not. Those students who put in extra hours of
study and qualified CSIR/UGC JRF never got a call for selection as they didn't
hold a PhD degree at the time of the interview. But a student having a PhD from
any third rate institution was not only called for interview but also got the
selection. Excuse he was holding a degree.

This recently got into the notice of HRD ministry in a way of falling standards
of education in Universities across India which forced them to think going back
to their original framework of calling candidate for interview to academic or
research position only if he/she is CSIR/UGC JRF or NET/GATE qualified.

Lets put it this way, collect data of all the appointment made in the
research/academic institutions/universities across India during last 10 years.
See what proportion are CSIR/UGC JRF or NET/GATE qualified. You will find
answers on your own.

Ajay Pandey