Op Mon, 14 Sep 2015 20:27:39 +0200 schreef Alan Bateman <alan.bate...@oracle.com>:

On 14/09/2015 17:40, Robert Scholte wrote:
Hi,

On behalf of the Apache Maven team I'd like to ask for advice for changing the JavaxToolsCompiler[1] This implementation is used when java code is being compiled with Maven *by default*, so right now when pointing JAVA_HOME to the latest JDK9 version builds will fail. There are other ways to compile, e.g. use the fork-parameter[2] or with toolchains[3], but what I'd like to know is whether it is still possible/valid to use javax.tools.JavaCompiler and is so: how should we rewrite this code?

Thanks for bringing this up as a few people have reported issues with Maven not finding the compiler.

Just to be clear, are you seeing this issue with the regular JDK 9 EA builds or just the Jigsaw EA builds?

Regular JDK9 EA works fine, I'm only seeing it with Jigsaw EA

Did this start when tools.jar went away?

I guess so.

I just did a quick test to check that ToolProvider.getSystemJavaCompiler() is returning the system JavaCompiler is returned for both builds (and it is). Is the issue that you are seeing that getSystemJavaCompiler() is returning null?

Stuart said yes, I think so too.

-Alan.

Robert