Hi Rony (sent privately to not bother the list with this stuff). Here's a modified ReturnTypesList that also keeps track of all the distinct methods that can be called:

public class ReturnTypesList extends CopyOnWriteArrayList<Class<?>> {

    private final Object lock = new Object();

    private volatile List<Method> methods = Collections.emptyList();

    public List<Method> getMethods() {
        return methods;
    }

    public void merge(Class<?> newType) {
        for (Class<?> type : this) {
            if (newType.isAssignableFrom(type)) {
                // already have the same or more specific type
                return;
            }
        }
        // we need to serialize access when modifying
        synchronized (lock) {
            // re-check under lock as the list might have been modified
            for (Class<?> type : this) {
                if (newType.isAssignableFrom(type)) {
                    // already have the same or more specific type
                    return;
                }
            }
// add newType 1st as it is the most specific type among related ones // this will make list appear to contain related types for a brief moment
            // bu that's not a problem.
            add(newType);
// construct new list of methods and remove the less specific related types
            List<Method> newMethods = new ArrayList<>();
            Iterator<Class<?>> iter = iterator();
            while (iter.hasNext()) {
                Class<?> type = iter.next();
                if (type != newType && type.isAssignableFrom(newType)) {
// current type is less specific than newType -> remove it
                    iter.remove();
                } else {
// current type is unrelated to newType or equal to newType
                    // -> collect its methods
newMethods.addAll(Arrays.asList(type.getMethods()));
                }
            }
            // publish newMethods
            this.methods = newMethods;
        }
    }
}

So all you have to do is call ReturnTypesList.merge(method.getReturnType()) every time you (re)-visit the registered object returned from the method. When you search for appropriate method to call on the object, use ReturnTypesList.getMethods() to search for most appropriate one - this method returns a list of unique methods (no duplicates).

Regards, Peter

Implementing explicit cast is easy in this scheme (the Java side):

public static void cast(Object object, ReturnTypesList rtList, Class<?> typeToCastTo) throws ClassCastException {
    typeToCastTo.cast(object);
    rtList.merge(typeToCastTo);
}

Peter

As with all concurrent data structures that try to optimize something, you can get it wrong in the first try. Here's the corrected code:

public class ReturnTypesList extends CopyOnWriteArrayList<Class<?>> {

    private final Object lock = new Object();

    public void merge(Class<?> newType) {
        for (Class<?> type : this) {
            if (newType.isAssignableFrom(type)) {
                // already have the same or more specific type
                return;
            }
        }
        // we need to serialize access when modifying
        synchronized (lock) {
            // re-check under lock as the list might have been modified
            for (Class<?> type : this) {
                if (newType.isAssignableFrom(type)) {
                    // already have the same or more specific type
                    return;
                }
            }
// add newType 1st as it is the most specific type among related ones // this may make list appear to contain related types for a brief moment // but that's not a problem if the logic that looks up methods can cope
            // with it (it might find duplicate methods)
            add(newType);
            // 2nd remove the less specific related types
            Iterator<Class<?>> iter = iterator();
            while (iter.hasNext()) {
                Class<?> type = iter.next();
                if (type != newType && type.isAssignableFrom(newType)) {
// newType is more specific -> remove less specific one
                    iter.remove();
                }
            }
        }