On 15/02/2017 13:21, Langer, Christoph wrote:

Hi,

thanks all for your very helpful comments.

So I see that I cannot rely on my Service implementation at an early stage. But
I can imagine that I query for the service provider and if it's not there I
have to be able to live without it.

The question that remains is, when I query the ServiceLoader for my impl at a later time, then I
would find it registered, right? I assume that if my module specifies "provides <my
service> with <my provider>", the provider will automatically be registered once the
module is loaded. Can you confirm that?

Yes. If you look in areas like JMX or networking then you'll see lots of examples where "extensions" are deployed as service providers. These should help you get started.

-Alan