Hi Claes,

On 02/15/2017 10:41 PM, Claes Redestad wrote:
Hi Peter,

are you suggesting that if I have class Foo { Bar b; }, then creating
and putting Foo b in a CHM before returning it to a consumer which is
then read from another thread is enough to force b to be safely
published even when the other thread does *not* get the object via a
call to the same CHM (which would go via the same volatile read and add
the necessary happens before relationship)?  I recalled having seen
examples to the effect that a non-volatile b isn't safely published in
this case.

No, I'm not suggesting that. I'm merely observing (and hoping that my IDE didn't miss places in code where this is not the case) that there is no unsafe publication going on here. Obtaining ImageReader from ImageReaderFactory.get() is safe as it either returns an instance constructed in the same thread or it returns an instance constructed in a different thread, but in that case, the instance is handed through CHM.set/get which enforces ordering. The only other place where I found ImageReader.open() call is in constructing the SystemImage implementation as an anonymous inner instance which holds an ImageReader in its synthetic final field which ensures safe publication of ImageReader even if SystemImage instance is published unsafely.

The (very shaky) hypothesis is thus that this could be what's happening
in any of the places which load and locally cache the system ImageReader
for anyone to use, e.g., SystemModuleFinder.SystemImage

...here the ImageReader instance is obtained via ImageReaderFactory.getImageReader():

    /**
     * Holder class for the ImageReader
     */
    private static class SystemImage {
        static final ImageReader READER;
        static {
            long t0 = System.nanoTime();
            READER = ImageReaderFactory.getImageReader();
            initTime.addElapsedTimeFrom(t0);
        }

        static ImageReader reader() {
            return READER;
        }
    }

...which is just a shortcut for ImageReaderFactory.get(BOOT_MODULES_JIMAGE) and I believe ImageReaderFactory.get() publishes (and did publish even before the patch) ImageReader instances safely (old code):

52 private static final Map<Path, ImageReader> readers = new ConcurrentHashMap<>();
  53
  54     /**
55 * Returns an {@code ImageReader} to read from the given image file
  56      */
  57     public static ImageReader get(Path jimage) throws IOException {
  58         Objects.requireNonNull(jimage);
  59         ImageReader reader = readers.get(jimage);
  60         if (reader != null) {
61 return reader; // <<-- HERE the instance was handed through CHM
  62         }
  63         reader = ImageReader.open(jimage);
  64         // potential race with other threads opening the same URL
  65         ImageReader r = readers.putIfAbsent(jimage, reader);
  66         if (r == null) {
67 return reader; // <<-- HERE the instance was constructed in same thread
  68         } else {
  69             reader.close();
  70             return r; // <<-- HERE the instance was handed through CHM
  71         }
  72     }

or
JavaRuntimeURLConnection (which is implicitly called when there's a
security manager installed).

...here the instance is also obtained via ImageReaderFactory.getImageReader():

    // ImageReader to access resources in jimage
    private static final ImageReader reader;
    static {
PrivilegedAction<ImageReader> pa = ImageReaderFactory::getImageReader;
        reader = AccessController.doPrivileged(pa);
    }

In both above places the ImageReader instance is obtained in <clinit> and this is another "layer" of synchronization between consumer and producer threads.

I might be (in fact likely am) wrong, but
we discussed this offline and came to the conclusion that there was no
harm in implementing these improvements regardless of whether they
actually resolve 8174817 or not.

No, there's no harm and I support the changes. It's just that they might not help in resolving the problem.

I think prior to this patch a concurrent ImageReader.close() could
happen if there was a race between 3 or more threads to resolve the
same Path from ImageReaderFactory.get (especially since there might be
a longish time window there since we might block to load a library
etc), so I don't think we lose anything from plugging that hole by
using computeIfAbsent here.

I don't believe this was the the source of concurrent close(). If you look at the code (above), you can see that reader.close() (line 69) is called only if the reader was not successfully published and it is called by the thread that constructed it. But computeIfAbsent is a good choice here to avoid optimistic constructions followed by close(s) when there is concurrency.

I think your observations about potential issues in JRTFS is correct,
but there was nothing to suggest JRTFS code was involved in JDK-8174817
(as it's not code that's used by the BuiltinClassLoader).

The only remaining ImageReader.close() invocation is now in jdk.internal.jrtfs.SystemImage anonymous inner class delegated from SystemImage.close(), which is only called from JrtFileSystem.close() or .finalize(). So you think JRTFS is not the source of the problem? What if JRTFS is accessing the same image as JavaRuntimeURLConnection in the same VM. Different instances of ImageReader would be used for them, but they would share the same underlying SharedImageReader. Currently I don't see a problem in SharedImageReader code, but I haven't studied it carefully yet. Maybe there is something to be found there...

Regards, Peter

Thanks!

/Claes