On 3/20/2017 12:07, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 20/03/2017 09:29, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

:

Not only do I agree, that's actually the plan for the next SLF4J
version. For what it's worth, to track progress I have also created

  https://jira.qos.ch/browse/SLF4J-401

Good! Is there also an issue tracking releasing it someday as a set of
modules?

There is the parent issue, namely SLF4J-372 and also SLF4J-402 "Jigsaw module declarations".

In the mean-time then I would expect existing versions of SLF4J to work
on the class path as before. Also existing versions should "just work"
as automatic modules on the module path. This goes for the case where
both slf4j.api and the logging framework JAR are treated as modules, or
where slf4j.api is a module and the logging framework JAR remains on the
class path.

The current plan is to completely abandon StaticXXXBinder mechanism in SLF4J 1.8. SLF4J backends, aka slf4j-compliant logging frameworks, would need to adapt to the ServiceLoader mechanism.

As for jigsaw module declarations, I expect it to be trivial assuming building under Java 9 but targeting Java 6.

--
Ceki