> On 21 Apr 2017, at 13:46, Doug Simon <doug.si...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> There has been some discussion about whether we want to update Graal in the
> JDK at this late stage. The main (only?) risk is a regression in the AOT tool.
>
> If we don't update Graal from upstream, then the qualified exports from JVMCI
> to jdk.internal.vm.compiler cannot be removed in JDK 9. Note that in addition
> to updating Graal to remove the qualified exports, there would also need to
> be changes in the relevant make files to add --add-exports options when
> compiling Graal and jaotc as they use the dynamically exported JVMCI packages.
>
> I have an updated hotspot patch that adapts Graal to the JVMCI API changes:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8177845/hotspot.02/
>
> Note that this patch does not include the changes removing use of JDK
> internal API from Graal. Cherry picking those upstream Graal changes would be
> more work than simply doing a complete update from upstream Graal.
>
> As I see it, there are 2 options here:
>
> 1. Go with the current webrev (including hotspot.02 patch) and live with the
> qualified exports.
> 2. Go with the current webrev (including hotspot.02 patch) and create a
> follow up bug to update Graal from upstream, perform the relevant make file
> changes and remove the qualified exports.

I made a new webrev[1] that implements option 1.5 ;-) The changes added since
the first webrev[2] are:

- Cherry picked changes from upstream Graal that remove use of JDK internals.

- The jdk.internal.vm.ci.enabled system property is set to true in
arguments.cpp[3] iff EnableJVMCI is true
  and this property is checked in all the public methods in jdk.vm.ci.services.

- The jdk.vm.ci.services package is (once again) only exported to
jdk.internal.vm.compiler based on
  advice from the jigsaw team:

  "We reviewed the unqualified export jdk.vm.ci.services from
jdk.internal.vm.ci module. This brings
   jdk.internal.vm.ci to be resolved by default that of course may resolve
additional modules that
   provides the services that JVMCI uses.  In addition.  JVMCI is meant to be
used (only) when
   -XX:+EnableJVMCI is specified but now it’s defined by default.

   An internal module should only have qualified exports as a design principle.
 The Lab Graal will
   have the same module name, jdk.internal.vm.compiler.  The advise is to keep
it as qualified export
   `exports jdk.vm.ci.services to jdk.internal.vm.compiler` and remove all
other qualified exports as
    we discussed."

- The jaotc launcher now needs to explicitly export JVMCI and
jdk.internal.vm.compiler to jdk.aot[4].
  Unfortunately there needs to be one --add-exports option per qualified export
target as combining
  them with a comma (e.g.,
--add-exports=jdk.internal.vm.ci/jdk.vm.ci.code=jdk.internal.vm.compiler,jdk.aot)
  breaks the make process:

    Launcher-jdk.aot.gmk:31: *** missing separator.  Stop.
    make/Main.gmk:232: recipe for target 'jdk.aot-launchers' failed.

The latest webrev has been tested against upstream Graal, the closed AOT tests
and jprt.

-Doug

[1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8177845.02
[2] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8177845
[3]
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8177845.02/hotspot/src/share/vm/runtime/arguments.cpp.udiff.html
[4]
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8177845.02/jdk/make/launcher/Launcher-jdk.aot.gmk.udiff.html

> [...]
>>      at jdk.internal.vm.ci/jdk.vm.ci.runtime.JVMCI.initializeRuntime(Native
>> Method)
>>      at jdk.internal.vm.ci/jdk.vm.ci.runtime.JVMCI.<clinit>(JVMCI.java:58)
>>      at
>> jdk.internal.vm.ci/jdk.vm.ci.hotspot.HotSpotJVMCIRuntime.runtime(HotSpotJVMCIRuntime.java:82)
>>      at
>> jdk.internal.vm.ci/jdk.vm.ci.hotspot.HotSpotVMConfig.config(HotSpotVMConfig.java:41)
>>      at
>> jdk.internal.vm.ci/jdk.vm.ci.hotspot.HotSpotResolvedJavaMethodImpl.getHolder(HotSpotResolvedJavaMethodImpl.java:92)
>>      at
>> jdk.internal.vm.ci/jdk.vm.ci.hotspot.HotSpotResolvedJavaMethodImpl.fromMetaspace(HotSpotResolvedJavaMethodImpl.java:110)
>>      at
>> jdk.internal.vm.ci/jdk.vm.ci.hotspot.CompilerToVM.asResolvedJavaMethod(Native
>>  Method)
>>      at
>> jdk.internal.vm.ci/jdk.vm.ci.hotspot.CompilerToVMHelper.asResolvedJavaMethod(CompilerToVMHelper.java:185)
>>      at
>> compiler.jvmci.common.CTVMUtilities.getResolvedMethod(CTVMUtilities.java:59)
>>      at
>> compiler.jvmci.common.CTVMUtilities.getResolvedMethod(CTVMUtilities.java:64)
>>      at
>> compiler.jvmci.compilerToVM.AllocateCompileIdTest.runSanityCorrectTest(AllocateCompileIdTest.java:125)
>>      at java.base/java.util.ArrayList.forEach(ArrayList.java:1378)
>>      at
>> compiler.jvmci.compilerToVM.AllocateCompileIdTest.main(AllocateCompileIdTest.java:71)
>>      at
>> java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
>> Method)
>>      at
>> java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
>>      at
>> java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
>>      at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:563)
>>      at
>> com.sun.javatest.regtest.agent.MainWrapper$MainThread.run(MainWrapper.java:115)
>>      at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:844)
>> Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException:
>> java.base/java.util.ImmutableCollections$MapN cannot be cast to
>> java.base/java.util.Properties
>>      at
>> jdk.internal.vm.compiler/org.graalvm.compiler.hotspot.HotSpotGraalCompilerFactory.getSavedProperties(HotSpotGraalCompilerFactory.java:215)
>>      ... 26 more
>>
>> -Doug
>>
>>> On 19 Apr 2017, at 23:26, Doug Simon <doug.si...@oracle.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've updated http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8177845/hotspot/ with
>>> these changes:
>>>
>>> 1. JVMCIServiceLocator.getProvider(Class<S>) is now protected
>>> 2. JVMCIServiceLocator.getProviders(Class<S>) now checks JVMCIPermission
>>> 3. Rename: jdk.vm.ci.services.internal.JDK9 ->