On 14/02/2020 08:02, Robert Scholte wrote:
:

With a tool like Maven it is already possible to compile and run patched
modules, but in case of requiring java.* modules it is very awkward that it
requires additional configuration in the pom instead of some dedicated module
descriptor, which feels most natural.
You'll get an exception like: package java.sql is declared in module java.sql,
but module some.module.name does not read it
And the first thing that comes to mind is: add java.sql to the (main) module
descriptor. But this should not be done.

Can you summarize how this works when compiling tests that reference types in modules on the application module path? Is the Maven compiler plugin uses `--add-modules ALL-MODULE-PATH` to include they are all resolved? If so, I'm just wondering about readability, do you also generate a list of --add-reads options too? I guess I'm just wondering why the issue is specific to modules that in the run-time image that aren't transitively required by the (unpatched) module.

-Alan