*> there are three invocations of javac*

For me I'd describe it as only 2 invocations of javac.

That is, what above has as "second compilation" and "third compilation" is
I'd say is just 1 invocation of javac of the "example" module that includes
an annotation processor.

I'd describe it as 1 invoke of javac will potentially involve a number of
*rounds* until it's done. Some application source is compiled, which then
invokes the annotation processor that generates source, that is then
compiled, which can then invoke other annotation processors etc and this
continues until it does the final round (which we can detect in the
annotation processor via RoundEnvironment.processingOver() - and we get a
nice warning if the annotation processor generates stuff in the final
round). Obviously this is pretty darn cool how javac does this as it means
we can have "normal source" depend on generated code which won't exist
until compilation starts (chicken and egg). I was sure this "multi-round
compilation dance" is just a single invoke of javac.  Is it not?

So my take is that this 1 invoke of javac when done with JPMS (tooling wise
the presence of a module-info) is now "tighter" and specifically this
*javac* can only see things defined in the module-info (and java.compiler
is not in there generally) ... hence the generated source which is also
compiled by this invoke of javac can't
include javax.annotation.processing.Generated as I see it (and that is what
the compilation error tells me).

I should put up an example but the problem with that is that the annotation
processor I have detects javax.annotation.processing.Generated isn't
available (when JPMS is used) and just generates the source without it. To
reproduce "the issue" I need to change the annotation processor to not do
that check and always include the javax.annotation.processing.Generated
(and release that to central).

I first noticed this when just flipping back and forth between traditional
class path compilation (no module-info) and JPMS compilation (has
module-info) and noticing the @Generated wasn't there in the generated
source when there was a module-info.

At this stage I'm pretty comfortable that the annotation processor can't
include the javax.annotation.processing.Generated in the generated source
with JPMS which is ok.

Cheers, Rob.