Hi all,

I was investigating a way for a JMAP client to empty a folder (the usual
"Empty Trash" scenario) and it turned out there's nothing in the spec
allowing me to do this.
The only possible solution would be to fetch Message IDs with a call to
getMessageList and then destroy all these IDs with a call to setMessages.
Is my understanding right or am I missing something?

If I'm right, Linagora would like to propose a simple but effective way to
implement such "mass" actions on all messages in a given Mailbox: the
setFilteredMessages API. This API will be very similar to setMessages but
will apply update and/or destroy operations on messages matching a filter
(the filter would behave exactly as the filter option of getMessageList: it
will select messages matching the filter expression). Two examples below:

   - Empty a folder

setMessages({
  filter: {
    inMailboxes: ['<my-mailbox-id>']
  },
  destroy: true
})

   - Mark all messages from me as read

setMessages({
  filter: {
    from: 'ddo.linag...@gmail.com'
  },
  update: {
    isUnread: false
  }
})

Some restrictions would apply, mainly:

   - destroy MUST be a Boolean value. If True, matched messages are
   permanently destroyed.
   - update MUST be an object containing updated properties. Ther server
   MUST apply the modifications to the matched messages.

What do you all think? Once we agree on the proposal, I can prepare a PR to
the spec quickly.

Thanks,
Regards,

David