If the expiration date is in the past, then the cookie is surely not valid?

I think there were some changes since 2.0.0 to fix cookie date handling.

However, JMeter should not just stop.
Any messages in jmeter.log? or the console window?

What happens with JMeter 2.0.3? I'd expect it to behave like 2.1.1 for Cookies.

S.