Heh, I'm a programmer. I have to admit though, that I very rarely check my
return value for null after vars.get. I figure if my BSF sampler fails with
a null pointer exception, I should know what's going on. Using "" + for
string conversion is probably a little less efficient than
Long.toString(variable), since you're creating some extra temporary strings
that you'll have to garbage collect later on. It probably wouldn't make a
measurable difference in your test, unless you looped through doing it a few
thousand times or using a multi-megabyte String. A system I used to work on
would store 30+ megabyte Strings on a regular basis. You definitely don't
want to create any more copies of those than you have to!

--
Bruce Ide
flyingrhenqu...@gmail.com