On Thu, October 6, 2005 11:33 am, Miguel said:
> This is a good task for a novice who wants to contribute. It is a
> self-contained, well-defined task that would provide the opportunity to
> gain some experience with Java, CVS, open source development, and Jmol.
>
> Some possible ideas:
>
>  * Francois ... you or one of your associates
>  * encourage Tripos to put a developer on it for a short time
>  * a student
>     - a bio/chem informatics graduate student
>     - a computer science undergrad student
>  * someone on the list who wants to learn
>

> Any of the above options will be more time-consuming for me than just
> doing it myself, but I really want to grow some new Jmol developers and
> get other people *invested* in Jmol.

All true and useful. Far simpler from an implementation point of view is
to simply use a CIF as the input file. Then the only thing that needs to
be done is for an agreement to be made between Miguel and whoever what the
datanames are for whatever additional properties the user wants to have
(and Jmol can use/display). The user then writes the CIF with those
dataitems included and a new Jmoll will read and use them.

Rich