Bob Hanson wrote:

I use callbacks in RasMol to query e.g. which amino acids are in 3.2 A distance to a hetero component

(echo "load pdb inline\nselect within(3.2, [LIP]3) and not [LIP]3\nshow selected group\nexit\n";cut 1imb.pdb) | rasmol -nodisplay | evaluateMakeRasMolScriptFromIt.pl | rasmol

without any user, the startup JmolScript could replace the interacting user, that is the main use for messageCallback

Ah, I see. OK. Well, it's an interesting question how to do:

PDB FILE | (cut off a chunck) | (do something with it) | Jmol
PDB FILE | (extract some information form it, e.g. ligands of a hetero component, and generate a script to visualize) | Jmol or RasMol or Chime

that is what already runes using (rasmol -nodisplay) to extract e.g. ligand information,

rasmol with the -nodisplay option has the flexibility to be used as a simple automatic script driven structure analysis tool

but

I don't know how Jmol is set up for command-line work like this. It hardly seems like it would be necessary to run Jmol twice (like you are running rasmol twice). Maybe this is a nice use for rasmol instead of Jmol. It does work there --- so why Jmol?

with the Jmol applet, web server side processing isn't necessary any more, the idea is, that all the automatic structure analysis could be done on client side while a startup JmolScript is running and a structure specific visualization script is generate, which completes the start process (generating structure specific interaction panels ...).
(
at this time I'm sad that both, RasMol and Jmol didn't support the PDB format completely e.g. ^insCode versus ;altLoc but I count on you and Jmol which is evolving and will make it some day, and is relay a great applet.
)
Regards, Jan