Is there a way to message or print (or show) the text currently displayed at a named echo position?

For example, something like

   set echo top left

   echo "1d66"

   message echo top

but that message command doesn't work and I haven't found a method.

Of course I can keep what I echo in a variable and use that, but before I code it that way, I wondered if there is a more direct method.

Thanks, Eric