Mike,

The idea of “intelligent” feedback is intriguing. We played around with this
concept in a large section at ISU years ago. It was fun, but frustrating! I
don’t know if Bob can do what you ask with Jmol SMILES or not. For my part, I
learned two things form this email chain:

1) It forced me to look at Bob’s SMILES/SMARTS docs, and I now understand why
cyclopentadienone is aromatic - or not depending on the Jmol SMILES setting!

2) I also learned that Daylight had a sense on humor on the subject at hand.
From their docs:

QUOTE
What does "aromatic" mean, anyway?

"Aromatic" means "it smells nice". No kidding, that's the only defensible
definition. There is no single rigorous definition of aromaticity in chemistry.
To a synthetic chemist, aromaticity implies something about reactivity; to a
thermodynamicist, about heat of formation; to a spectroscopist, about NMR ring
current; to a molecular modeler, about geometrical planarity; to a cosmetic
chemist, it probably means "smells nice". The SMILES definition of aromaticity
has nothing to do with the other definitions, except that we'd all agree that
benzene is "aromatic".
END QUOTE

In a 2007 blog, Rich Apodaca (ChemWriter Application) took a look at the
history of SMILES and aromaticity. It’s an interesting read:

http://depth-first.com/articles/2007/11/28/smiles-and-aromaticity-broken/
<http://depth-first.com/articles/2007/11/28/smiles-and-aromaticity-broken/>

Otis

--