Dear John,

Jmol, by itself, is challenging to use for most purposes. It has an extensive command language with thousands of commands and permutations. Therefore many people, myself included, have created explanations or tutorials that show molecules using Jmol, but are much easier to use, with built-in help that is lacking in Jmol per se.

Examples are

 * http://biomodel.uah.es/en/model3 (Carbohydrates, Lipids, Vitamins,
   Proteins, Nucleic Acids)
 * http://MolviZ.Org (DNA, hemoglobin, antibody, water, lactose
   repressor, collagen, etc.)
 * http://Proteopedia.Org has many articles with interactive molecule
   in Jmol. Use the search slot, or browse lists at:
 * http://proteopedia.org/w/High_school_teachers%27_resources
 * http://proteopedia.org/w/Teaching_Scenes%2C_Tutorials%2C_and_Educators'_Pages

For general exploration of any macromolecule, I believe http://FirstGlance.Jmol.Org is easiest (disclosure of possible bias: I wrote the user interface) but it is designed for research or specialized study. If you want to give students access to specific molecules not available in existing tutorials, you can make your own web page with links that show the molecule in FirstGlance, or your own page in Proteopedia.Org.

To answer your question:

Jmol is not, as far as I know, available in the Apple Store. You download it free from http://Jmol.org.

Jmol is available as a stand-alone application (Jmol.jar). It has almost no built-in help. To do more than see the initial view of a molecule, you need to use the menu (complicated, no help) or learn the commands. Yes, you can drop it onto the Mac Dock (on the right end).

The resources I listed above, designed for students and educators, all work in a web browser, using the plug-in form of Jmol (JSmol or the Java applet). For those, all you need is a bookmark or link. Nothing needs to be installed, except Java which is not necessary for most purposes.

Please don't hesitate to ask if we can help.

-Eric