Hi Bob (and the others),

thanks for your answer - this helps enormously. I have a bunch of legacy files
created by a legacy utility - I modified the code to no longer put stuff after
the integer.

As a side note: the xyz::broken.xyz trick also works on the command line (which
is how I start jmol in most cases).

Peter

> On 26 Sep 2016, at 13:42, Robert Hanson <hans...@stolaf.edu> wrote:
>
> The xyz reader ignores everything else on the first line after the integer.
>
> The reader format resolver is what requires just an integer (the number of
> atoms) and white space on the first line in order to send the data to the xyz
> reader, because there are several other formats that start with an integer.
>
> So the documentation is technically not incorrect, but what it does not say
> is that if you do not specify the format using "xyz::" as a prefix to the
> file name in the LOAD command, then Jmol will not recognize your file as
> "XYZ" format.
>
> So no need to change your files unless you need to drag-drop them into Jmol
> or JSmol. If you are using the LOAD command, just do it like this:
>
> load "xyz::broken.xyz <http://broken.xyz/>"
>
> It would not be impossible to add one more check to Jmol's  resolver to allow
> for this. But that would introduce a whole new problem of "false positives,"
> and it probably would be better to align the documentation with what is
> standard and indicated at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYZ_file_format
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYZ_file_format> rather than allowing that
> resolution.
>
> Bob
>

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:46 AM, Peter Brommer <p.brom...@warwick.ac.uk
> <mailto:p.brom...@warwick.ac.uk>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This concerns Jmol Version: 14.6.1_2016.08.11  2016-08-11 22:11.
>
> There is an issue with reading/recognising xyz files. On the wiki page
> http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/File_formats/Formats/XYZ
> <http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/File_formats/Formats/XYZ> those are described
> as having two header lines per step in a multi-step format, the first of
> which states "the number of atoms in that step. This integer may be preceded
> by whitespace; anything on the line after the integer is ignored.”
>
> However, if there is anything after the integer, the xyz file is no longer
> recognised and the load command gives up with “script ERROR: unrecognised
> file format for file broken.xyz <http://broken.xyz/>". I attach two files
> which only differ by a supposedly ignored character after the number of
> atoms, and both fulfil the standard given in the wiki.
>
> So, at the moment there is a discord between documentation and code. I’d
> prefer this was fixed in the code, so I don’t have to change a bunch of xyz
> files.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Brommer

> Robert M. Hanson
> Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry
> St. Olaf College
> Northfield, MN
> http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr <http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr>
>

> If nature does not answer first what we want,
> it is better to take what answer we get.

> [...]
Dr Peter Brommer
Assistant Professor  |  Warwick Centre for Predictive Modelling  |  School of
Engineering  |  University of Warwick
pbrom...@warwick.ac.uk  |  www.warwick.ac.uk/pbrommer  |  External: +44 (0) 24
7652 8613  |  Internal: 28613

D2.08  |  School of Engineering  | Library Road | Coventry  |  CV4 7AL  |
United Kingdom